
This is my guide to managing my plot in 2009. It's by Thomas William Sanders who was a prolific writer of gardening books and a well known gardener in his day. He lived in Lewisham, London and died in 1926.
I'm guessing this book was written during the Great War, but it was republished many times and the version I have been reading is a reference copy in Manchester Central Library, but it seems to be quite easy to buy on a number of online websites.
I like this little book because it's almost scientific in it's approach with detailed diagrams, digging patterns and charts. I also like it because it's an old book. Sanders talks about measuring plots in "rods" and gives detailed instructions on the use of hoof trimmings and recipes for storing and drying blood.


The chart above gives instructions for sowing dandelion and horseradish and since noticing this I've found lots of uses for dandelions. Apparently the flowers boiled with honey are a good throat syrup, the root makes a coffee like drink and the leaves can be cooked like spinach. It can also be used in beer and here's a recipe for Pan-Roasted Chicken With Wilted Dandelion and Bacon. Yum? More dandelion food stuff...
...there's horseradish all over my plot so it's interesting to see it counted as a crop. My horseradish has always come from the jar - until now. In the USA there's a Horseradish Information Council with the follwing mission statement
The Horseradish Information Council is comprised of six horseradish processors working together to broaden the appeal and increase year-round usage of commercially processed horseradish and related products. The Council's key message to consumers and foodservice users of horseradish is that this unique vegetable root, long admired for its effects on beef and seafood, is very versatile.
No comments:
Post a Comment